Sunday, October 14, 2007

A Country Retreat

The wind blows hair into my eyes,
as I hike through the woods towards the hilltop.
My feet crunch on fallen leaves with each step.
Ahead, I see squirrels scamper away,
escaping up nearby oaks.

The crisp autumn air makes me shiver.
I pull my sweater tighter around me.
Multi-colored leaves float silently to the ground.
Enormous moss covered rocks
jut out from rugged cliffs.

Trees with slender branches
reach up towards the heavens.
The screech of a hawk overhead startles me.
I catch my breath.

A little further, an old wooden bridge crosses a stream.
Slowly walking the weather-worn boards,
I look down at the crystal water.
A small frightened frog jumps in,
creating ripples that spread quickly
then disappear.

In the distance,
a stone house peeks through the pines.
Willowy threads of smoke
rise up from the chimney,
leaving wispy words across the sky.

Somewhere ahead, the wind whistles
from the valley below.
Reminding me how far I’ve come.


by Susan Dianne Smith

1 comment:

sinuhe06 said...

I dream of walking there and looking to all these wonders with
four eyes, together being one!